lundi 7 janvier 2008
Lafayette Park is a 7 acre (30,000 m²) public park located directly north of the White House
The park was separated from the White House grounds in 1804 when President Thomas Jefferson had Pennsylvania Avenue cut through. In 1824, the park was officially renamed in honor of General Lafayette of France.
Today's plan, with its five large statues, dates from the 1930s. In the center stands Clark Mills' equestrian statue of President Andrew Jackson erected in 1853; in the four corners are statues of Revolutionary War heroes: France's General Marquis Gilbert de Lafayette and Major General Comte Jean de Rochambeau Poland's General Thaddeus Kosciuszko; Prussia's Major General Baron Frederich Wilhelm von Steuben.
Publié par ✈ à 10:30